Exterior of Queen of Peace Church B.V.M. Queen of Peace &
St. Veronica
Roman Catholic Parish

Email Us

In April of 1852, Rev. William O'Hara, who later became the first bishop of the Scranton Diocese, founded and organized St. Philomena's Parish in Hawley, Pennsylvania, and became its first pastor. At the time, Wayne County belonged to the Diocese of Philadelphia. A wooden church was built on the back corner of the present property; it had a seating capacity of 400. The church was dedicated by Bishop John N. Neumann, who has since been canonized as a saint.

During the next few years, several mission churches were established in the adjacent Pennsylvanian towns of Lackawaxen, Ledgedale, Shohola, White Mills, Matamoras, Milford, Dingman's Ferry, Promised Land, as well as Milanville and Glen Spey, New York.

On July 22, 1900, the cornerstone for the present building was laid and blessed by Most Reverend Michael Hoban, Bishop of Scranton, a native of Hawley. It was dedicated on June 20, 1901, by Bishop Hoban. In 1911, the present rectory was completed.

St. Philomena's Cemetery was established in 1849 and is one of the oldest in the Diocese of Scranton. The Grotto section was added in 1939, and since then, more area has been made available for use by the parishioners. In 2001, the Gate of Heaven Section was added, giving the cemetery more than two more acres of useable space.

In May of 1947, Father Holleran purchased the Murray property across Chestnut Avenue from the church and had it remodeled into a convent for the Sisters who served the Church and her missions. It also had space for a kindergarten classroom. Many of Hawley's present residents went to classes there.

Exterior St. Veronica's ChurchThe mission church, St. Veronica's, was established in Paupack in 1960. As of May 30, 1962, St. Philomena's Church became known as Blessed Virgin Mary, Queen of Peace church.

In 1982, the parish entered into a major renovation project to modernize the buildings and the grounds. Both churches, B.V.M. Queen of Peace and St. Veronica's, were repaired and repainted, with the result being the beautiful houses of worship we use today. The entrance to B.V.M. Queen of Peace church was enclosed and an elevator installed in 1989. In 1997, the garages behind the rectory were demolished and a parish center was built. This building is used for meetings and religious education classes. That same year, a three-car garage was built to accommodate the parish vehicles behind the Religious Education Center. In 1999 and 2000, both churches were painted and new carpet installed.Rev. Richard W. Beck

Over the past 150 years, there have been seventeen pastors assigned to B.V.M. Queen of Peace church. The Pastor Emeritis, Rev. William B. Healey, retired in 2005 after thirty-three years at B.V.M. Queen of Peace. Rev. Richard W. Beck began his assignment as pastor on June 29, 2005.

As of 2006, there are 1241 families registered in the parish, accounting for 3223 members.



Information and church pictures Copyright 2002 B.V.M. Queen of Peace Parish. Site designed by Nikola Vrtis.